- The Hard Stuff: Dope, Crime, the MC5, and My Life of Impossibilities
- by Wayne Kramer - 2018 - Da Capo Press
- Memoir by Wayne Kramer, legendary guitarist and cofounder of quintessential Detroit proto-punk legends The MC5
- I Brought Down The MC5
- by Michael Davis - 2018 - Cleopatra Music and Films
- Famed bass player from MC5, Michael Davis, takes us on a roller
coaster ride of triumph and tragedy in this superb 350-page memoir!
(Amazon). Includes rarely seen photos and original artwork by Michael
- Detroit Rocks! A Pictorial History of Motor City Rock and Roll 1965-1975
- by Gary Grimshaw & Leni Sinclair - 2013 - Detroit Artists Workshop Press
- Detroit Rocks! features Leni Sinclair’s iconic
images of rock-and-roll legends in Detroit- including many previously
unseen images- along with Gary Grimshaw’s legendary poster designs for
the Grande Ballroom, amongst others.
- The Rise And Fall Of The MC5 :
Rock Music And Counterculture Politics In The Sixties
- by Michael DeWitt Cary - 1985 - Lehigh University
- This dissertation was presented to the Graduate
Committee of Lehigh University in candidacy for the degree of Doctor of
Arts - 1985
This document is essential to any
research on the MC5 story. It was certainly a big inspiration
to many many books enlisted below.
- The MC5 And Social Change : A
Study In Rock And Revolution
- by Mathew J.Bartkowiak- 2009 - McFarland
- The book is based upon Mr Bartkowiak's dissertation
submitted to Michigan State University for the degree of Doctor Of
Philosophy - 2007 - entitled "Rock And Revolution : The MC5 And Music's
"The MC5's 1969 live album Kick Out the Jams was a new measure of the
relationship between music and cultural and political change.
Evaluating the relationship between rock music and social change,
examines how the rebelliousness of rock afforded both media producers
and consumers a safe space in which to question social mores and ideas"
- Guitar Army - Rock and
Revolution with The MC5 and the White Panther Party
- by John Sinclair - 2007 - Process
- "This 35th anniversary edition of Guitar Army
includes two dozen previously unpublished period photographs, recent
writings from John Sinclair, and an introduction from Michael Simmons
that leads the reader through the revolutionary times to Sinclair’s
life today. A bonus CD contains rare recordings of MC5 and other
Detroit-area revolutionary bands, Allen Ginsberg, Black Panther Bobby
Seale on the White Panthers, and original White Panther Party meetings."
- Sonically Speaking - a tale of
revolution and rock'n'roll
- by Brett Callwood- 2007 - Independent
Music Press on myspace
- An MC5 Biography. "Although nobody realised
it at the time, the historic importance of the MC5 is vast. Fuelled by
the radical politics of the White Panther party, the MC5 preached
revolution and were often a target for the authorities. This work
details not only the seismic impact that they've had on music, but also
the social climate in which they evolved."
- Grit, Noise & Revolution
- by David A. Carson - 2005 - The
University Of Michigan Press
- "The Birth Of Detroit Rock'n'Roll"
- "Carson reveals in rich and engaging detail exactly
why the Motor City is world renowned as a musical mecca." DENNIS
- THE MANSION ON THE HILL
- By Fred Goodman - 1997 - Random
- Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen, and the Head-on
Collision of Rock and Commerce
- Book One "The American
Revolution" Chapter 8
"Brothers and Sisters, I give you a testimonial : The MC5"
- IMAGINE NATION - The American
Counterculture of the 1960s & '70s
- by Jeff A.Hale - 2001 - Routledge
- For a more detailed history of the White Panthers, as
well as the Nixon Administration's focus on the group as part of a
complex legal strategy to obtain expanded "national security"
wiretapping authority, see the author's Ph.D. dissertation: Wiretapping
and National Security: Nixon, the Mitchell Doctrine, and the White
Panthers, (Ann Arbor, MI: University Microfilms,Incorporated, 1995)
White Panther's Total Assault on the
- Published here by permissions of the author/publishers
- FROM THE VELVETS TO THE VOIDOIDS
- By Clinton Heylin - 1993 -
- A Pre-Punk History for a Post-Punk World
- Precusors - Energy Freak-out
Freeform (1968-71) : MC5 - The Stooges
- FORTUNATE SON
- By Dave Marsh - 1985 - Random
- Criticism and Journalism by America's Best-Known Rock
- Chapter 7 "The MC5: Back on
- PLEASE KILL ME
- By Legs McNeil and Gillian
McCain - 1996 - Little,Brown
- The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
- Part One "I wanna be your dog:
- THE FUTURE IS NOW!
- By Michael Simmons and Cletus
Nelson - 2004 - Creation
- This is the first book ever
published that is entirely devoted to the MC5
- LOST FROM THE OTTAWA - THE STORY
OF THE JOURNEY BACK
- By Pun Plamondon 2004 - Bootleg
- A Memoir by Pun Plamondon
- "Pun Plamondon's story is a unique and compelling
account of his odyssey from adopted son to White Panther Minister of
Defense, FBI 10 Most Wanted List, political prisoner, alcoholic road
dog and his redemption as an Odawa activist, storyteller and modern-day
sage. Many important lessons here on The Journey Back." John Sinclair
- INSTRUMENTS OF DESIRE
- By Steve Waksman - 1999 -
Harvard University Press
- The Electric Guitar and the Shaping of Musical
- Chapter 6 "Kick Out the Jams!
The MC5 and the Politics of Noise"
PRESS releases 1967-2005
- THE SUN - 1967 , US - by John Sinclair "Interview with Rob
- DETROIT FREE PRESS - Feb. 17, 1967 , US - by Loraine
Alterman "The MC-5: More Like One Big Musician"
- FIFTH ESTATE - June
19 - July 1, 1968 - July 4
- 18, 1968
- July 18
- 31, 1968 - August 1 -
14, 1968 , US - by John
Sinclair "Rock & Roll Dope"
- ANN ARBOR SUN - July 27, 1968 - August 7, 1968 , US -
by John Sinclair "Flash! . . . "
- ANN ARBOR NEWS - Aug.16, 1968 , US - by Doug Fulton "Gallup Park - -
Where The Sunday Action Is"
- FIFTH ESTATE - Oct. 3 -16, 1968 - Dec. 12 - 14, 1968
, US - by John Sinclair "Flash! Elektra buys 5!" "White Panthers On the
- THE VILLAGE VOICE - Nov.?Dec. 1968 , US - by Richard
Out The Jams"
- EAST VILLAGE OTHER - Dec. 1968 , US - by Bob Rudnick
and Dennis Frawley "Kokaine
- ROLLING STONE - Jan. 4, 1969 , US - by Eric Ehrmann
"Detroit's MC5 : Kick Out The Jams!"
- CIRCUS - Vol.4 #6, March 1969 , US - by Harley
Madison "Actions Speak Louder Than Words - MC5"
- EAST VILLAGE OTHER - April 14, 1969 , US - by Lita
- KISS - April 1969 - by Dean Latimer
- BILLBOARD - May 17, 1969 , US - by Fred Kirby "MC5 Opens All
- NEWSWEEK - May 19, 1969 , US - by Hubert Saal "Kick Out The Jams"
- CHANGES - June 15, 1969 , US - by William Aronstein "MC5 -
Kicking The Great Neck Jams"
- JAZZ&POP - #9, July 1969 , US - by David
- CREEM - Aug. 31, 1969 , US - by ??? "MC5 On The Cusp"
- CIRCUS - Sept. 1969 , US - by Jonathan Kundra "The
MC5 - Get It On"
- GO MAGAZINE - Sept.19, 1969 , US - by Chris
Cool Time - MC5 and The Stooges"
- CIRCUS - Oct. 1969 , US - by Jonathan Kundra "MC5 :
Muscle Music and Politics"
- BERKELEY TRIBE - Vol.1 #21 Issue 21 Nov.27 - Dec.5,
1969 , US - by Sundog "MC5"
- COUNTDOWN - #1 Feb. 1970 , US - by Richard Goldstein,
John Sinclair, Dean Latimer Respectively "MC5" "The MC5 is a Whole Thing" "Brother
John Sinclair in Darkest America"
- CHANGES - April 1, 1970 , US - by Alice Polesky
- CIRCUS - April 1970 , US - by David Harris "The MC5
again: Less Revolution...More Music"
- MELODY MAKER - August 8, 1970 , EN - by Richard
Williams "MC5 - Still The Bad Boys Of Rock"
- STRANGE DAYS - Sept. 1970 , EN - by Chris Hodenfield "Rough Trade From
- FUSION - Oct. 30, 1970 , US - by Robert Somma "Fusion Interview:
Jon Landau Writer-Producer Part 2"
- IT - Oct. 7 - 21, 1971 , EN - by Dave Marsh "Back On
- FLASH - #2, 1972 , US - by Wayne Davis "MC5 / Back In
- NME - Feb. 19, 1972 , EN - by James Johnson "The MC5
On Shock Rock"
- CREAM - March 1972 , US - by Charles Shaar Murray "Teen Outrage In
- FRENDZ - March 31, 1972 - by Nick Kent "MC5 - Interview"
- BEST - Spring 1972, FR - by Christian Lebrun "A La
Une : MC5"
- BEAT INSTRUMENTAL - April 1972 , EN - by Steve Turner
"MC5 - No more Violence"
- ACTUEL / NOVAPRESS - April 1972 , FR - in "Exit Les
Superstars" - interview MC5 & Up
- SUPERHEBDO - April 6, 1972 , BE - by Michel Dreyfuss
"MC5, les révoltés de Détroit"
- EXTRA - #17, April 1972 , BE - "MC5" at Herouville
- ROLLING STONE - June 8, 1972 , US - by Ben
Fong-Torres "Shattered Dreams in Motor City"
- SUOSIKKI - Sept. 1972 , FI - by ??? "Rock-Pommi :
- ROCK&FOLK - #72, January 1973 , FR - by Yves
Adrien "MC5 Le Dernier Souffle / MC5 au Bataclan"
- GULCHER - #0, July 1975 , US - by Eddie Flowers
- ROCK NEWS - #6, July 1976 , FR - by ??? "MC5"
- ROCK&FOLK - #121, February 1977 , FR - by
Alain Dister "MC5 (kick out the jams)"
- COWABUNGA! - #11, 1977 , US - by John Koenig "Thunder
From The Motor City"
- COWABUNGA! - #12, 1977 , US - by Jim Heddle "The MC5
: A Motor City Phenomenon"
- ZIGZAG - July - August, 1977 , EN - by John Sinclair
"The MC5 : How the Jams Were Kicked Out!"
- GOLDMINE - May 1979 , US - by John Koenig "Interview
with Dennis Thompson"
- NINETEEN - June 1986 , FR - by Alain Feydri "Quintet"
- END TIMES - #8, Winter 1986 , US - by Eric Lorey
- HARTBEAT! - #9, 1989 , GER - by Hans-Jürgen Klitsch
"John Sinclair's Warriors"
- MUSICIAN - #145, Nov. 1990 , US - by Dave Marsh "The
MC5's Holy Spirit"
- YOUR FLESH - 1992 - by Brendan Burke "Total Assault
On The Culture : The Truth about John Sinclair"
- GOLDMINE - April 17, 1992 , US - by Rick Clark
"Wayne's World - Wayne Kramer Talks About the MC5"
- ROLLING STONE - June 11, 1992 , US - by Eric Ehrmann
"Toking down With The MC5"
- DAS REICH - October 1992 , AU - by Harry Butler "MC5
and Related Bands"
- FREAKOUT U.S.A. - Spring 1993 , US - by Efram
Turchick "Breaking Through The Terminal Stasis - MC5's Michael Davis"
- JUKE BOX - July - August, 1994 , FR - by Bernard
Masanès "Motor City 5 - Le rock dur de Detroit"
- RAGE - Issue #9 Nov. 1994 , FR - by Henri Charpin
"The Motor City Five- La Théorie de Sinclair"
- MAXIMUMROCKNROLL - June 1995 , US - by Chris Davidson
"The MC5 - Pioneers of punk"
- THE WIRE - June 1995 , UK - by Edwin Pouncey "Motor
City Madness - MC5 Meets Sun Ra"
- DO THE POP - Nov. 1995 , US - by Alan Wright "Wayne
Kramer & the MC5"
- DISCOVERIES - Dec. 1995 - by Ralph Heibutzki "Edge
of the Switchblade : To hell, and Back, with the MC5"
- FREAKOUT U.S.A. - 1996 , US - by Efram Turchick "John
Sinclair Sincerely Clears the Air - A rap with a revolutionary"
- MOJO - May 1997 , EN - by Jann Uhelszki "Hello,
Goodbye : Wayne Kramer & The MC5"
- GOLDMINE - March 10, 2000 , US - by James Thompson "Kickin' Out
The Jams" "Wayne Kramer - Rockin' on after The MC5"
- BLACK TO COMM - 2000 , US - by Ken Shimamoto "Michael
Davis at the center of the universe" "A true testimonial : Dennis
Thompson, Phantom Patriot"
- MOJO - Sept. 2002 , EN - by Ben Edmonds "The Battle
Of New York"
- ARTHUR - Issue #9 - March 2004 , US - by Steffie
Nelson , James Parker , Ian Svenonius , The Seth Man "High
- QUEST - Issue #16 - March 2004 , JP - by Tomoharu
Kotsuka "MC5 - Still Crazy After All These Years"
- UNCUT - May 2005 , EN - by Nick Hasted "Kick Out The
Jams, Motherfuckers!! How The MC5 Kick-Started The Punk Revolution"